Whether you want to decorate the walls of your home or to add some flare to the screens of your devices, you can never go wrong with black and white wallpaper. Individually, these colours go with any other shade you can think of. Together, black and white complement each other perfectly. It’s because our eyes perceive objects that absorb all light as black and those that reflect it all as white, literally personifying darkness and light. In nature, you can find several examples of this combo. Which is why if you thought that there isn’t much that can be done with these colours, you would be very wrong.
Black And White Background Ideas
- Stripes: A classic theme you can create a lot of effects by changing the thickness of each line. The lines don’t even have to be straight. You can make them look like zebra or tiger stripes, or create a Doppler effect with them. The lines can be vertical, horizontal, diagonal, radial or concentric.
- Tiles: Another classic, you can create a chessboard effect with black and white squares, backgammon effect with triangles or a piano’s keys with rectangles. You can even recreate charcoal and chalk bricks with the right grayscale texture.
- Spots: It doesn’t have to be just circles, you can use black spots on a white background to look like a dalmatian skin or white spots on black to resemble the night sky.
- Minimalist Art: Minimalism is the trend now, especially in the digital space. And what could be more minimalistic than black and white patterns? From silhouettes of Cape Town’s skyline to caricatures of your favourite Anime characters, your options are unlimited.
- Quotes: It could be your favourite dialogue or the words you live by, tell everyone about it by jotting it on your screen. You can even add some pictures for impact or write it in a different language. You can even insert a clutter of them to express your jumbled thoughts. You can even create a blackboard or whiteboard effect. Just be sure to use the right font that supplements the words’ mood.
- Photograph: It could be a family photo, scenery or a special moment; if it’s worth hanging on the wall, it’s worth printing upon it.
- Sketches: If you want something artsy for your grayscale theme, sketches are the best bet.
- Birch Tree Patterns: A great example of how nature plays with colours, this specimen is everyone’s favourite black and white wallpaper.
- Folksy Patterns: There’s nothing as homely as folk art.
- Geometric Abstractions: Studying maths may have been boring but drawing it is certainly not. From simple cat’s cradle to complex murals on monuments, there is no limit to how much can be done with shapes.
- Comic Strips: If you are a comic fan or simply love witty jokes, express it with panels on your walls.
- Targets: If you have a foam wall, you can play a game of darts on your black and white background, if you don’t mind the holes.
- Stencils: If you are handy with papercraft and spray paints you can print your own designs on your walls. You can even try animal stencils for your kid’s room. Pandas work best on B/W wallpapers for obvious reasons.
- Yin-Yang: Another classic, nothing expresses the opposite yet complementary nature of black and white patterns than this Tao symbol. You can even tweak the design a bit if you want.
- Ensō: This Japanese symbol for the ultimate void would really suit your mobile screen. You can even try reaching the zen state by stroking your black walls with white paint.
- Visual Illusions: Is it an old lady or a young lady, it’s definitely a puzzle worthy of your background.
As you can see, the options are simply endless. So take your time to choose the right black and white background for your house or display screen.